This simple Homestyle Roasted Chicken recipe (Poulet à la Ménagère) consists of an oven roasted free range chicken cooked, with a mix of potatoes, onions, garlic and cherry tomatoes. To make it special, it uses simple ingredients along with a delicious blend of familiar French flavors, along with a special roasting method.
So, you ask, what makes this recipe "unique"? After all, everyone knows how to roast a chicken! We here at Au Bon Goût Boutique were determined to find out.
The answer, we think, simply put, is the French method of cooking / roasting the chicken along with the rest of the meal, and the fact that the chicken is physically turned three times to ensure even cooking and moist meat. That's what makes this recipe from the French Cooking Academy so tasty.
Poulet à la Ménagère Recipe
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 1 Free range or organic chicken chicken of 1.4 kilograms (about 3 pounds)
- 2.2 lbs of potatoes suited for roasting
- 1 large onion finely sliced
- 7 oz of cherry tomatoes chopped in half
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot (quartered)
- 4 branches (with leaves and stokes) fresh flat parsley
- 4 twigs of fresh thyme (for the stuffing)
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- grape seed or sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Heat your oven to 200˚C / 400˚F
- Season the the chicken inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the chicken with all the stuffing ingredients listed above.
- Truss the chicken and put it in a roasting tin. (See instruction video below!)
- Smother the chicken with oil using your hands and place a knob of butter in between the leg and the breast on both sides.
- Scatter the potatoes and garlic around the chicken in the pan.
- Turn the chicken on its side and roast in the oven for 15 mins. Turn the chicken over and roast for another 15 mins. Finally, place the chicken on its back, mix the tomatoes and onions in with the potatoes and roast for 25 mins.
- During the last 10 mins, turn on the broiler and cook the chicken for 5 mins to crisp the skin, taking care not to burn.
Note - In case you use a smaller or larger chicken, the cooking time for a whole chicken is roughly 20 minutes per 500 grams (1 lb) of meat so make sure you adjust the time accordingly.
Au Bon Gout Boutique Comment 1 - Roaster Pan
We used a good sized Pillivuyt baker/roaster sold right here at Au Bon Goût Boutique which accommodated the chicken and vegetables etc. wonderfully.
We recommend this tutorial video by French Cooking Academy demonstrating this recipe. Bon Appétit!